1.07.2016

The Master's Hammer and Chisel- the first 4 days!

Most of my followers might already know that I started a new fitness program this week. It is a Beachbody program called The Master's Hammer and Chisel. It is the first time that Beachbody has taken 2 of their master trainers and put them into one fitness program. It is a resistance training based program that focuses on 3 things: Stabilization, Strength and Power (SSP) and let me tell you, I am already in love with it! 

On Day 1 I did Chisel Balance. This workout uses 1-2 weights and lots of moves where you are standing on one foot, jumping from one foot to the other, and overall focusing on your core for stabilization and balance. I had to modify during the workout for most of the moves, and I didn't break a sweat, but the next day I could feel it in every one of my muscles (especially my legs and my core!)

On Day 2 I did Hammer Plyometrics. I will be honest when I assumed it would not be too difficult- Sagi Kalev is the trainer in this video and he is a really big guy! I assumed that his version of plyometrics (basically jump training) would be mediocre considering I assumed his size would limit his ability to jump. Boy was I wrong! This workout was the shortest but it made me break a sweat like crazy!

On Day 3 I did Iso Strength Chisel. This workout focuses on doing 3 sets of 10 reps each, with a 10 second hold in between each of the sets. So for example, you would do 10 sumo squats, 10 second hold, 10 sumo squats, 10 second hold, 10 sumo squats, 10 second hold. Then you would stretch that particular muscle group before moving on to the next move. I think this workout was my favorite so far, but my arms were shaking pretty intensely before I was done. This workout was the one that convinced me to try the new Beachbody Performance Line. I purchased Energize (a pre-workout drink) and Recover (a post-workout drink) and I will give my review on them after I try them for a few days. 

Day 4 (today) was a rest day. Autumn Calabrese (one of the master trainers in this program) emphasized strongly today in our Challenge Group how important the rest day is. She encouraged us to NOT do yoga, running, another program, etc. but to just let our bodies restore and recover from the intense workouts over the last 3 days. I did do 15 minutes of foam rolling, but I am not sure if that is considered exercising or not. I mostly wanted to massage my sore muscles and get them moving a little bit today to increase circulation. Today was my first day using my foam roller and I really like it!

Tomorrow I will move onto Iso Speed Hammer. The name of that one makes me a little nervous, but I am sure I will enjoy it. So far I have nothing but great things to say about this program. Most of all, I am excited to see how I feel after 60 days!





No comments: